Tuesday 17 April 2012

Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes with Cauliflower Icing....yum?

After the success of the Guinness Chocolate cupcakes I decided to go out on a limb again with these avocado cauliflower cupcakes.



I wasn't actually looking for odd cupcake combinations to try. It happened after finding a pin how to decorate cupcakes. My friend sent me a message about how she was trying to focus on eating healthy when she was distracted by my pin that appeared on her Facebook news feed:












So to balance everything out I decided to look for healthier cupcake options, and I came across this recipe for Chocolate Avocado and Cauliflower cupcakes. When I originally pin it I did not actually intend to give it a try. But after I kept on seeing it on my Pintrest and seeing the interest in it I decided to give it a shot. 

The cake turned out great. It was a nice dense chocolate cake almost like a brownie (if you like a fluffy cake like you get with boxed mixed this is not for you) and once cool I was not able to taste the avocado. The batter is very thick and will need to be scooped into the cake tins as it will not poor. I may also have over-cooked it a bit as a toothpick will not come out clean when cooked like other cakes (I did not trust and left them in the oven for an extra 3-5min).

On the other hand the icing was a complete flop for me. The recipe posted on the Sweet Life is from Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious and calls for 2 Tbsp of vanilla extract. I am now questioning if this should be 2 tsp as my icing turned out to be a very runny mess and would not stay on top of the cupcakes. My cauliflower may also have not been drained well enough after it was steamed. Either way I scrapped the icing and just went with a standard buttercream.

These were not nearly as good as the Guinness cupcakes but I will likely make them again. Hopefully I can get the cauliflower icing to work next time.

Chocolate Avocado

Are there any other strange cupcake combinations that you enjoy?

No comments :

Post a Comment

img.noborder { border: 0px;-moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 0px rgba(0, 0, 0, .0); -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 0px rgba(0, 0, 0, .0);box-shadow: 0px 0px 0px rgba(0, 0, 0, .0); border-radius: 0px 0px 0px 0px; background: none; }