Tuesday 5 June 2012

Growing Green Onions

When I saw this pin it was so perfect! Whenever I get green onions I find I only use 20% then the rest eventually die in my fridge. The idea is so simple that I couldn't believe I haven't been doing this for years.


You just take your remaining green onions and place them in a container with a little water and they continue to grow and provide fresh green onions whenever needed.

I first gave this a try over a month ago. The biggest problem was that they kept on growing and I wasn't using them fast enough. I had to trim them back  more that I was using them.

A week and a half ago I finally had a recipe that required a 1/2 cup of green onions and was able to use the full bunch for the first time since I bought them a month earlier.




1 1/2 weeks growing.


Conclusion: This works great. The onions grow fast and keep fresh for a long time. I have found that I need to drain the water and rinse the base of the onions at least once a week to keep them from getting slimy.

Even if this doesn't last forever it is well worth it as I have received at least 2X more onions then expected when I originally bought them

No comments :

Post a Comment

img.noborder { border: 0px;-moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 0px rgba(0, 0, 0, .0); -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 0px rgba(0, 0, 0, .0);box-shadow: 0px 0px 0px rgba(0, 0, 0, .0); border-radius: 0px 0px 0px 0px; background: none; }